Sunday, January 8, 2017

Psalm 8 - Children's Praise

What can I say that hasn't already been said about Psalm 8. It has been a favorite Psalm of hymn and song writers for centuries. I found  new (to me) site www.hymnary.org where you can look to find hymns and songs that have been written using the text from the Bible.  Or you can look at a hymn and see all of the different scriptures that were used or referenced in it.

I checked on Psalm 8. According to hymnary dot org there are 162 hymns and songs written that at least have some lines in them based on Psalm 8. Wow! The hymn text "LORD, our LORD, Your Glorious Name", is from the Psalter 1912. It is in 25 hymnals set to various tunes. (But it hasn't been put in any Baptist hymnals.)

That was just some bonus info for you today. :-)

What jumped out at me today was verse 2
2 Through the praise of children and infants you have established a stronghold against your enemies, to silence the foe and the avenger. NIV


2 You have taught children and infants to tell of your strength, silencing your enemies and all who oppose you. New Living Translation

In my favorite setting of Psalm 8, "The Majesty and Glory of Your Name," this part of Psalm 8 is worded like this, "Little children praise You perfectly, and so would we, and so would we. Alleluia!"

When my grandson, Malachi, who is 4, got glasses and put them on for the first time he said, "Wow! I can see! I can even see God!" I don't doubt that he did.
I was going to tell you about the time Malachi said he talked to Elijah, but when I called his mom to ask about it - I couldn't quite remember the whole story - it ended up that there is a boy in his mother's day out class named Elijah. From other things he has said his whole life I just figured he had talked to THE Elijah.

I've noticed that children do praise the Lord, maybe not perfectly, but often better than youth and adults do. Their faith seems to be more pure and innocent. They haven't become as skeptical, perhaps. Or maybe they haven't had to deal with the terrible or disturbing or unholy things of life like we have. Maybe because of that they can see God more clearly or trust Him more fully. 

Bottom line: 
Whether or not they praise God perfectly or actually see and talk to Him in person, when children praise God and tell how wonderful He is they silence God's enemies. They establish a stronghold against God' enemies.
SO...
  • Talk to your children about God as part of your normal conversations. Day to day point out the things God is doing. Don't just talk about God on Sundays.
  • Make sure your children are in church. Set a good example for them in your attitude about church attendance. Come to worship and Bible study with joy.
  • Bring your children to Children's Choir on Sundays at 2:00 (at Hilldale. Check your own church for choir times.)

Bonus material.
My favorite setting of Psalm 8.


No comments: