Monday, January 16, 2017

Psalm 16 - Every Good Thing

In reading Psalm 16 today one verse really jumped out at me - verse 2


2 I say to the LORD, “You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing.” (NIV) Ner INternational Version
2 I say to the Lord, "You are my Lord; all the good things I have come from you." (GNT) Good News Translation

This verse then reminded me of James 1:17
17 Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow. (NASB) New American Standard Bible

I think a good thing for me (us) to do today is make a list - on paper would be good - of everything good in my (your) life. My guess is that we will have very long lists. At the top of the list and the bottom of the list .... hmmmmm, and maybe again every ten or twenty things on the list.... write Psalm 16:2.

You are my Lord;
apart from you
I have no good thing.

A list like this, with this verse written over and over again, will make verses 7-9 come alive in my heart. 
7 I will praise the LORD, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me.8 I keep my eyes always on the LORD. With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken.9 Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure,11 You will make known to me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy;Bottom line:As we remember how every good thing in life is from God we'll see these things
  •  our hearts will be at a place where we will praise the LORD, 
  • we will hear Him in the night (when a lot of worries take place)
  • we will keep our eyes on Him
  • we will not be shaken
  • our hearts will be glad
  • we will rejoice
  • we will rest secure
  • we will know the path of life
  • we will know joy in His presence
Sounds like a great plan to me!

No comments: