Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Psalm 31 - Abundance

In my blogging through the Psalms I don't usually focus on just one verse, but I think that's what I'm going to do today.

Psalm 31 is another psalm of David when he was dealing with troubles and enemies who were after him. He was crying out for deliverance. And even in his distress he was able to confess his trust in God.

But I want to talk about verse 19
How abundant are the good things that you have stored up for those who fear you, that you bestow in the sight of all, on those who take refuge in you.

We live in a time where there are a lot of "Prosperity Gospel" preachers. They take a verse like Psalm 31:19 and tell their listeners that God wants them to have a bunch of material things: a new car, a big house, nice clothes and more. They say if you live right and ask God He'll give you all that and more. They often say, or at least imply, that if you don't have all these things then you aren't living right. 

I'm not sure how that translates to Christians who don't live in the USA. What do these prosperity gospel preachers have to say to Christians who live/lived in Syria? Or in poverty in Africa? 

If I was going to list the greatest gifts I have received from the Lord I would say things like - the love of family and friends, joy day by day no matter my circumstances, peace through difficult times.... let's just do it this way. 

Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

Other things that are gifts from God: purpose, meaning, direction....

What would you put on your list?

Bottom line:
The size of your house or car or the other things you own don't show God's blessing or favor. God is much more concerned about your life being filled with the fruit of the Spirit and spiritual things. Look for, reach for, strive for those things.

No comments: