Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Psalm 10 - Don't Be Mrs. Potts


This is Mrs. Potts.

She got her name because she reminded me of this famous Mrs. Potts.

She is short and round and cute as can be.

But when it comes to being a chicken that can survive with the wildness of life, you have to be more than just round and cute. Mrs. Potts had lots and lots of feathers. You'll notice that even her feet and legs are covered with feathers.

But having a lot of feathers and not much else made her slow getting around. She was usually the last to arrive when the chickens would come running for a treat. She just couldn't maneuver well.

What does this have to do with Psalm 10? I'm so glad you asked.

Psalm 10 begins with the psalmist asking an age-old question that actually will show up in more Psalms as we work our way to day 150. Why do the wicked get away with what they do? They are arrogant and basically thumb their nose at God. So why doesn't God do something about them?

I don't know.... Neither did the psalmist. (Actually, I'll probably address this more with another Psalm.)

Here's what God showed me today - something I hadn't thought about before - and how Mrs. Potts ties in with Psalm 10.

As I was reading about the wicked God showed me how I (we) can defend ourselves against the wicked. Yes, ultimately our defense is found in the Lord. 12 Arise, LORD! Lift up your hand, O God. Do not forget the helpless.
But we should be spiritually and mentally prepared to face the enemy.

8 Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.
Here's what I saw in Psalm 10
  • v.7 "His mouth is full of lies and threats" - So we should "stand firm, putting on the belt of truth" Ephesians 6:14
  • v.8 "He lies in wait near the villages, from ambush he murders the innocent - So we should stay away from places where it is easy to be overtaken by the wicked see Proverbs 1:8-19
  • v.9 "He lies in wait to catch the helpless" - So we need to learn to not be helpless. How did Jesus fight Satan and his temptations? He quoted scripture. Paul worded it this way in Ephesians 6 :16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
Mrs. Potts was a beautiful little chicken. I say "was" because last night after the sun went down a raccoon got in the chicken coop before I got home to close the door. She wasn't prepared to face the enemy (I know this is all a stretch - go with me) She was pretty with all of her feathers, but she was slow, she couldn't fight back. I'm sure the roosters fought. I know the bigger faster hens fought and ran fast. All that was left of Mrs. Potts when I looked in the coop was a lot of black feathers.

A sad night at the coop.
Bottom line:
  • Don't be all fluff and no substance in your spiritual life.
  • Read Ephesians 6 and see how you can be prepared by putting on the full armor of God
  • Have scripture memorized - hidden in your heart - so you have a big sword ready to fight.
  • Don't name your chickens. It makes it much sadder when a raccoon gets them. :-( 

No comments: