Monday, January 23, 2017

Psalm 23 - A Fresh Look

I'm having a difficult time writing a post today.

Psalm 23 only has six verses, but they are so full of meaning that entire books have been written about them. A preaching pastor could easily preach a four or five part sermon series from this beautiful psalm.

So what can I say in a short blog post that would be new or different or could measure up to the great theologians who have written about it?

I did have this thought. The 23rd Psalm is so familiar, and we have heard it so often - usually at funerals - that we've come to the place that we just, kinda, ignore it. Familiarity doesn't necessarily breed contempt, but it can breed apathy. Or we relegate this psalm to funerals.

So what do you do when you find yourself skimming over a familiar passage of scripture? Here are a few ideas.
A fresh look at Psalm 23


  • Pray. Ask God to show you something new or how to apply it to your life or how you can use that passage to encourage someone else.
  • Read it out loud. You'll hear things that your brain might skip if you read silently.
  • Read it from several different translations. I've read Psalm 23 from the NASB for years. Before that KJV and probably NIV. Today I read it from the NLV.
1 The LORD is my shepherd; I have all that I need.2 He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams.3 He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name.4 Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.5 You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies. You honor me by anointing my head with oil. My cup overflows with blessings.6 Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the LORD forever.I'm not going to tell you my thoughts about Psalm 23 on this post. Not because I don't have any, but because I don't want to limit what God may be saying to YOU today through Psalm 23. Bottom line:Ask God to give you a fresh look at Psalm 23.For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Hebrews 4:12Let the Word be active in your soul and spirit. 

No comments: