Friday, May 25, 2012

150 Days of Psalms - Psalm 146

I can't believe we're down to our last five psalms. It's been a great study. I know many of you have stuck with me through this entire journey.

The last five psalms are the "Hallelujah Psalms." Each begins with "Hallelujah" which means "Praise the Lord."


Psalm 146 tells us why we shouldn't trust in men and then lists a long list of reasons of why we should trust in the Lord and sing "Hallelujah."

He made the heavens, the earth and the seas - His great power in creation.
He cares for and helps those in need: the hungry, oppressed, prisoners, the blind, those bowed down from the troubles of life.
He loves the righteous, protects strangers and supports orphans and widows.

As His people, we should be joining Him in His work. We should care for the hungry, oppressed, etc.

Jesus explained how in the last day God will separate us into two groups - sheep and goats - blessed and wicked. Click here to read it for yourself Those who fed the hungry, clothed the poor, visited those in prison, etc. are those to whom God will say "Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world."

How will you join God in His work of caring for others this week?

1 comment:

Phyllis Hobson said...

I liked verse 5: "Happy is he that hath the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope is in the Lord his God:" it harkened me back to Psalm 144:15 "happy is that people, whose God is the Lord." Other translations use the word "blessed."

These Psalms, as well as other places in the Bible, tell us how to be happy and blessed, to keep our mind and focus on God. (Isaiah 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.)

There's a lot of scary stuff going on, between the news, family issues, and my next door neighbor just got the "C" diagnosis last week. Knowing that God has a perfect plan, that I can trust Him when I think it's not going exactly like I would do things.... That's where my heart, mind, focus needs to be.