Sunday, May 6, 2012

150 Days of Psalms - Psalm 127

I'm not looking ahead on the psalms. Maybe it's because I'm the kind of person who likes surprises. I've read all of the psalms before and have memorized various verses from many of the psalms but I usually forget the reference.

So it was a nice surprise when I read Psalm 127 to find several verses that I have quoted many times over the years. Who knew they were in Psalm 127. haha.

Unless the LORD guards the city, The watchman keeps awake in vain.

There have been times over the years when Cheryl and I have been in places where it - well, let's just say the neighborhood wasn't one you would walk around in at night without a big dog and a friend with a gun with you. Cheryl would want me to stay up and worry all night about something or someone doing something bad or mean or deadly. (She can always foresee those kinds of things.) It wasn't very comforting to her that I was able to sleep in such situations. I would tell her "unless the Lord guards the city, the watchman wakes in vain." Meaning, if God isn't watching over us were dead anyway, so since He is I think I'll let Him take care of it and I'm going to get a good nights sleep. I'm not saying I would want to take a walk at night down a dark alley in a bad part of town, but it does make the point that ultimately our safety and protection comes from God.

And important part of verse 1 is the realization that a home must be built on the Lord and following Him where He is the One that builds the house.

The other verses I am very familiar with from this psalm are
3 Behold, children are a gift of the LORD, The fruit of the womb is a reward. 4 Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, So are the children of one's youth. 5 How blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them;

But one verse I hadn't paid much attention to is verse 2. This picture is a great summary of that verse.
Awesome thought!

No comments: