Monday, May 7, 2012

150 Days of Psalms - Psalm 128

I saw an interview the other day. The one being interviewed was a college-aged boy who was part of the "occupy" movement. Bless his heart. He thinks the government should take care of him and give him food and housing and medical care. In addition, he thinks it should all be free and that he shouldn't have to work more than a couple of hours a day and get paid at least $80,000 a year.

I don't think this is what the psalmist was talking about, but when I read the first couple of verses I thought of this boy. (Yes, I know a 20 something male is a man, but not if he still thinks the mommy government should take care of him. That one is still a boy.)
1 How happy is everyone who fears the Lord, who walks in His ways! 2 You will surely eat what your hands have worked for. You will be happy, and it will go well for you.

The psalmist is pointing out that those who fear the Lord will do well and be blessed by their family: wife, children and grandchildren. But the part that jumped out to me was "You will surely eat what your hands have worked for."

There is a blessing and a good sense of accomplishment when you work hard for something. This is true for anyone, but those who fear (reverence, follow, obey) the Lord have an added blessing from the Lord.

Leave a comment if you think I'm off track on this, but I don't think I am. Proverbs talks about the "sluggard" who lays in his bed and says he can't go out to work because there might be a lion in the streets. Poverty will overtake that man/boy. There was no US federal government to bail out slackers and sluggards in those days. Maybe it's time we stop enabling lazy people and tell them to get to work. Just thinking out loud (and politically, I suppose.)

No comments: