Tuesday, May 8, 2012

150 Days of Psalms - Psalm 129

Psalm 129 continues the Psalms of Ascent. We aren't used to hearing prayers asking for God to punish or bring disgrace on others. Jesus told us we should pray for our enemies. So what I gather from this psalm is that those who hate God's people - and therefore hate God - will wither away. No one will say to them "May the Lord's blessing be on you" because in their rejection of God they have rejected His blessing.

As the pilgrims (those who have chosen to dollow the Lord) made their way to Jerusalem (or to the temple or up the temple steps) in these ascent psalms this psalm reminds them (and now us) that those who reject the Lord will be rejected by Him.

1 comment:

Phyllis Hobson said...

I found humor in the scathing comment in verse 6 "Let them be like grass on the rooftops,
which withers before it grows up." I remember one drive into Nashville where someone had a rather tall tree shoot growing up in their gutter. I couldn't believe someone would let so much stuff collect to be able to root a plant. Then my gutter got a glut of the seedlings from the tree in my yard (I think a maple tree? I'm not good with plants), and it started sprouting. I got that cleaned out right away.

I hope that my heart will have good soil, so that no matter what someone tries to throw my way, God can turn it for good and have a well-rooted lesson grow from it!