Friday, May 18, 2012

150 Days of Psalms - Psalm 139

Oooo! I love this psalm! It has so many verses in it that are quoted all the time.

The first set of verses are to me as they are to the psalmists.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; It is too high, I cannot attain to it.

It's impossible to comprehend how God knows all about me from my first day to my last - even what I'm going to say before I say it.

Verse 13 and following are used - and rightfully so - by those of us who are on the "choose life" side of the abortion debate. I don't think I have to explain them here.

And what a comforting thought we find in all of the verses that talk about how a person can go ANYWHERE and God is still there.

Finally, the last couple of verses are a great prayer asking God to reveal sin. After God reveals our sin then we should confess our sins with this promise in mind.



If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
1 John 1:9 NAS

3 comments:

Phyllis Hobson said...

What struck me throughout the Psalm was how transparent the Psalmist is before God at the beginning and end of the Psalm: "(1) You have searched me and known me. ... (23-24) Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my concerns. See if there is any offensive[g] way in me; lead me in the everlasting way."

So often I want to weigh and clean up my words and thoughts before I "voice" them to God. How silly is that? He knows everything I think before I formulate it into a prayer or thought to Him. I pray so often that I draw closer to God, that I will have a life reflective of what He wants for me. I want one where my every thought would come straight from Him.

Lindelotheleniel said...

Can you tell me where the first image came from? I absolutely love it.

R Lyndel Littleton said...

Lindelotheleniel, I don't remember where I found this picture. I'm sure I just googled Psalm 139 and found it that way.