Wednesday, May 23, 2012

150 Days of Psalms - Psalm 144

1 Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle ; 2 My lovingkindness and my fortress, My stronghold and my deliverer, My shield and He in whom I take refuge, Who subdues my people under me.

What I see in this psalm is that David is giving God the credit for his skill and then gives Him the credit for the outcome of his battles. Too often in our society - even in the Christian realm - we take credit for any skill we have and then we take credit for results because of our hard work, our being smart, our whatever....

I'm not saying we shouldn't work hard or study or develop our skills etc. etc. We actually need to do all of that. The difference is that David gave God the credit for all he had that was good.

Then in the later part of the psalm it sounds like David is kind of being greedy or something by asking for all of those blessings. David is asking on behalf of his people. This is a good example for us to follow - not asking for ourselves but for those we have the power to bless, those under our care.

No comments: