Wednesday, April 25, 2012

150 Days of Psalms - Psalm 116

You've probably heard of "foxhole conversions" and the saying "There are no atheists in foxholes." If you aren't familiar with this concept, foxholes are holes or ditches dug in a battlefield where a soldier can get below the whiz of bullets flying toward him and fire back at the enemy while he looks for an end to the battle or a way of escape. Many a soldier when found in a foxhole returned to or found a faith in God as he cried out - like the psalmist here - "Lord, save me!"

I've been reading some blogs I found when I googled about foxhole conversions. Most seem to think that foxhole conversions are worthless. One was about atheists in foxholes. They all actually seemed to have some valid points. One talked about how desperate people in desperate situations will do or say just about anything.

This all leads up to what I was going to say anyway, that the proof of "conversions" during times of trouble is in what happens after the "trouble" is gone. We know the writer of Psalm 116 was sincere and serious about his cry for help because he said

"I will fulfill my vows to the Lord
in the presence of all His people." v.14

"I will offer You a sacrifice of thanksgiving
and call on the name of the Lord.
I will fulfill my vows to the Lord
in the presence of all His people,
in the courts of the Lord's house..." vs.17-19

It's easy to make promises to God when you are looking for deliverance from something/someone. The proof of your conversation with God during those times  is in what you do afterward.

1 comment:

Phyllis Hobson said...

These were the same verses that I saw and reflected on. For myself, I also wondered how often I take the "everyday" blessings of God for granted without thanking Him or just acknowledging that everything comes from God.