Friday, April 20, 2012

150 Days of Psalms - Psalm 111

Hmmmm. I didn't know where to start in writing about this psalm. I just told Cheryl that this psalm is all over the place. So I guess that's what I need to write about. Maybe the psalmist was just overwhelmed with all that God is all all that He does. He talks about praising God because of His great works, then about His righteousness, giving food to those who fear Him, that His precepts (teachings) are sure, that He sent redemption to His people, and ends sounding like something from the book of Proverbs by saying "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom ; A good understanding have all those who do His commandments;"

Maybe it's just a good reminder that God is multifaceted. Sometimes we put Him in little boxes. "I can talk to God about this, but not that." But this psalm covers so many areas of life, perhaps psalmist is trying to say that God is bigger than we think He is. 
This picture I found is a good way to summarize this psalm. (wish I had thought of it this way)

Years ago I wrote a song that LifeWay published based on this psalm, "I Will Give Thanks." I don't have that recording to put on here, but I do have a YouTube video of a Korean choir singing it.



Unfortunately for us, they sang it in Korean.

No comments: