Tuesday, April 10, 2012

150 Days of Psalms - Psalm 101

As I was re-reading this psalm and looking for pictures to put with it I suddenly thought of politicians and the promises they make.

"My administration will be the most transparent, most honest, most blah, blah, blah..."

and then they aren't.

Here, the psalmist is making promises like the politicians.
I will walk with integrity.
I won't look at worthless things.
I won't tolerate people who lie, or do evil, or slander others, or are arrogant.

Instead I will surround myself with people who are faithful and blameless.

"7 He who practices deceit shall not dwell within my house; He who speaks falsehood shall not maintain his position before me."

Now wouldn't that be change you could believe in?!

Of course it's easy to point fingers at politicians. However, we shouldn't expect or demand anything from our politicians that we aren't doing ourselves. Preach yourself a sermon now and then fix what you need to fix. :-)



1 comment:

Phyllis Hobson said...

Of all the sins that we commit it's eye-opening to me that the Psalmist hones in on lying. It seems so innocent and "really doesn't hurt anyone." It's also one of those things that we learn early on, no need to train someone to lie, from the time a child is talking they learn to point the finger to someone else. I'm sure that's how many imaginary friends get started, for someone to place blame on.

Looking at the beginnings of creation, I see that the fall of man can be traced to lying, deceit. Maybe that's why God takes it so seriously even if we don't. And rather than an imaginary person to place blame on, God put our sin on Jesus, He took our blame. Coming out of the Easter weekend, seeing how sacrifice of an innocent was needed through the ages to take the blame until the cross, this Psalm ties that together and gives me reflection of the weight of every lie.