Friday, April 13, 2012

150 Days of Psalms - Psalm 104

This beautiful psalm praises God for His care of all creation. It is through God's work that all of creation is sustained. "The earth is satisfied with the fruit of His works."

God's plan is to include us in His work.

Genesis 1:28 God blessed them; and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over every living thing that moves on the earth." I think we've read enough in the psalms about kings who rule with justice and integrity to understand the correct concept of "rule over."

Another passage I thought about when I read this was the first chapter of Colossians. In it is a fantastic description of Jesus Christ which includes this description of His role in creation.
16 For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities -all things have been created through Him and for Him. 17 He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.

This psalm ends with the reason the psalmist took time to write about the wonders of creation and of God's care for creation.
33 I will sing to the LORD as long as I live ; I will sing praise to my God while I have my being. 34 Let my meditation be pleasing to Him; As for me, I shall be glad in the LORD

No comments: