Saturday, March 25, 2017

Psalm 84 - A Lovely Dwelling Place



Yes....it's in German, but have you heard anything this lovely lately? Ooooooo. I think I'll listen to it again.
Here's the translation if you need it.

.Wie lieblich sind deine Wohnungen,
Herr Zebaoth!
Meine Seele verlanget und sehnet sich
nach den Vorhöfen des Herrn;
mein Leib und Seele freuen sich
in dem lebendigen Gott.

Wohl denen, die in deinem Hause wohnen,
die loben dich immerdar
How lovely are thy dwelling places,
O Lord of Hosts!
My soul requires and yearns for
the courts of the Lord;
My body and soul rejoice
in the living God.

Blessed are they that dwell in thy house;
they praise you forever

Look how the psalmist longs for the Lords' house.

How lovely is Your dwelling place, LORD Almighty.
My soul yearns, even faints, for the courts of the LORD.
Better is one day in Your house than a thousand elsewhere.
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked.

Jesus said in John 14
1 "Do not let your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me.
2 "In My Father's house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you.
3 "If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also.

I think sometimes we only focus on that heavenly dwelling place. I'm not saying it won't be wonderful. It will be beyond any of our thoughts or dreams.

But there is more to following Jesus than that beautiful home in heaven. The psalmist knew that too. It's not the place. It's the person.

v2 My heart and my flesh cry out for the living God.


The reason God's dwelling place is lovely is because HE is there. The reason heaven will be so glorious is because HE is there. Streets made of gold are worthless without Christ.
Another thought.
God doesn't "dwell" in our churches. Not like they understood in Old Testament times. But He is dwelling in us if we are followers of Christ. And when we gather together in worship He is there. I have to wonder about those who don't want to ever attend a worship service where we sing God's praise. They say they want to go to heaven, but they don't seem to care about a relationship with God now. That's what heaven is. It is dwelling with God. It's not fishing all the time or golfing or growing roses without thorns. It is being in the presence of Almighty God.
Where are you in your relationship with God through Jesus Christ. Do you long for Him? Do you want to gather with His people and sing His praises? 

No comments: