The prayer David had for Solomon has many things in it that we should use as a guide as we pray for all of those listed above (and others.)
I'm using the NIV and NLT for my thoughts below.
- Give your love of justice to the king and let him judge the people in righteousness.
- Let the poor always be treated fairly.
- Help him defend the poor.
- Help him rescue the children of the needy.
- May the king's reign be refreshing like Spring rain.
Even if the mayor or governor or president or whoever isn't someone you voted for these are things that you can pray for him or her. Now the whole part about "may the king reign forever" is NOT something you'll want to pray no matter if you voted for that person or not. Ha!
The Apostle Paul also gave instructions about praying for those in authority.
1 Timothy 2:1 I urge you, first of all, to pray for all people. Ask God to help them; intercede on their behalf, and give thanks for them. 2 Pray this way for kings and all who are in authority so that we can live peaceful and quiet lives marked by godliness and dignity. 3 This is good and pleases God our Savior,