Friday, February 24, 2017

Psalm 55 - Cast Thy Burden upon the Lord

Dr. C. L. Bass and my dad, Bill J. Littleton, were good friends from their days at Oklahoma Baptist University. If I remember correctly at one time Dr. Bass was dad's organist - maybe at FBC, Borger Texas. That was a LOOOOONG time ago - in the 1960s.

When I read Psalm 55 today this beautiful setting of Psalm 55:22 (and other verses from the Psalms) written by Dr. Bass. I remember hearing this at Eastwood Baptist Church in Tulsa when I was in 6th or 7th grade (I think). Such a beautiful, haunting melody, lovely accompaniment and it is wonderfully sung here by the TMC choir.




How often do we try to carry our burdens on our own? "I've got this." Perhaps we're trying to prove to the world or to ourselves that we are strong and self-reliant. Ahhhhh, but how much better if we could learn to cast our burdens on Christ.

Matthew 11:28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

What burdens are you carrying around? Are you trying to take care of them yourself? Cast your burden on the LORD and He will sustain you.

No comments: