Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Psalm 39 - Life Is Short - Make it Count

How do you want to be remembered? I'm often amused at funerals when the preacher is saying all kinds of nice things about the deceased and everyone's looking around wondering who he's talking about. That's not how I remember him!

Psalm 39 reminds us that life is short.

4 “Show me, LORD, my life’s end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting my life is.5 You have made my days a mere handbreadth; the span of my years is as nothing before you. Everyone is but a breath, even those who seem secure.6 “Surely everyone goes around like a mere phantom; in vain they rush about, heaping up wealth without knowing whose it will finally be.7 “But now, Lord, what do I look for? My hope is in you.We see these same thoughts all through scripture. One example is James 4:14 Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away.Are you rushing around trying to heap up wealth? You don't even know who will end up with your wealth. You know - you can't take it with you.

The best way to make your life count isn't by piling up wealth. Invest your life in others, point them to Jesus, let your legacy live on through them as they follow Jesus. I'm not saying that wealth is wrong. I'm saying that when your life is over your wealth will end up with someone else and you have no control over who ends up with it. But a life invested in others will go on as others live their lives for Jesus because of your example and encouragement.
Bottom line:Do you want to be remembered as someone who was always chasing wealth? Or as someone whose hope was in the Lord? People are watching you. Live how you want to be remembered.


No comments: