Thursday, March 1, 2012

150 Days of Psalms - Psalm 61

Recurring Themes

This Psalm is only 8 verses long and much of what is said has been said several times in previous Psalms.
"Hear my prayer"
God is my rock, strong tower, refuge.
I am safe (hiding, sheltered) under Your wings
I will live in Your house forever.
I will continually sing of Your name.

Did David have writer's block so he just threw in some things he had thought of another time? I don't think so. There is comfort in familiarity. Good teaching takes place through repetition. When we face difficult times we remember the things we have heard over and over because they become part of our automatic response - because we know them.

There are great truths written throughout scripture. We need to be reminded of them over and over again so we really know them. We need to experience their power for ourselves. We need to take to heart (and in practice) the advice Joshua gave.


"This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it; for then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have success.
Joshua 1:8 NASB

Here's a beautiful song based on Psalm 61


1 comment:

Phyllis Hobson said...

It is short and repetitious. I like your take on that, it may be because we need to go over and over the promises and attributes of God to really soak it in.

I thought that the last verse, as interpreted in The Message, was especially good to me - "And I'll be the poet who sings your glory—and live what I sing every day." A lot of this Psalm reminded me of songs and choruses I know. I like the thought of living out what I sing (or hum!