Thursday, March 29, 2012

150 Days of Psalms - Psalm 89

I don't think I ever remember reading or hearing the name Ethan the Ezrahite before, but I like his psalm. Here's what Wikipedia says about him. "Ethan (Hebrew: אֵיתָן, Modern Eytan / Eitan Tiberian ʾÊṯān ; "Firm") the Ezrahite, is mentioned in the Hebrew Bible. It may be that Ethan was a cymbal-player in King David's court. He authored Psalm 89. Charles Spurgeon theorized that this was the same person as Jeduthun."

So there is hope for percussionists that they can do something productive. hahaha. Just kidding. Percussionists keep the whole ensemble together. It's a very important job.

An important thing to remember when reading about the covenant with David is that it has been ultimately fulfilled in Jesus Christ.


But what I want to mention today are all the beautiful word pictures describing how great and awesome God is. Use these as a time of prayer and worship. I think you'll be amazed at what it does for your prayer life and for your attitude for the day. As we see God in His infinite glory we can't help but grow in our faith, grow closer to God, and live our lives in a way that brings Him glory.

1 I will sing of the lovingkindness of the LORD forever; To all generations I will make known Your faithfulness with my mouth. 2 For I have said, "Lovingkindness will be built up forever ; In the heavens You will establish Your faithfulness."

5 The heavens will praise Your wonders, O LORD

8 O LORD God of hosts, who is like You, O mighty LORD ? Your faithfulness also surrounds You. 9 You rule the swelling of the sea ; When its waves rise, You still them.

14 Righteousness and justice are the foundation of Your throne; Lovingkindness and truth go before You. 15 How blessed are the people who know the joyful sound! O LORD, they walk in the light of Your countenance. 16 In Your name they rejoice all the day, And by Your righteousness they are exalted. 17 For You are the glory of their strength






2 comments:

Phyllis Hobson said...

I loved the visuals in the Psalm for praise (I like being able to speak God's words back to Him, some of the recent Psalms have not lent themselves as much to do that).

I liked how God went on about what He would do through David (which as you said was fulfilled in Jesus). Then in verses 30 and following there's the part about the "possibility" of David's descendants not following God: "If his children forsake my law, and walk not in my judgments; If they break my statutes, and keep not my commandments; Then will I visit their transgression with the rod, and their iniquity with stripes."

Yet from verses 33 and following we can see God's perfect love and faithfulness: "Nevertheless my lovingkindness will I not utterly take from him, nor suffer my faithfulness to fail. My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips."

So often if you "burn a bridge" with me, that's it. No second chances, no kindness or explanations accepted. There's a lot to say of the forgive/repent and whether someone is sorry they did something or sorry they got caught. But I have the tendency to put up the walls, to be very harsh. Thank you, God, that you are the God of innumerable chances.

Anonymous said...

I always need forgiveness mostly because of my impulsive nature and sinful lips. But God's Grace is not dependent on me. That is my hope!

"...I will not take my love from him, nor will I ever betray my faithfulness. I will not violate my covenant or alter what my lips have uttered..."