Sunday, March 4, 2012

150 Days of Psalms - Psalm 64

I realized today that I was having a difficult time relating to David writing so many psalms about his enemies. It was actually during this morning's sermon from Bro. Paul that it dawned on me. We all face many enemies, they just aren't all people.

Look at these first fewe verses from Psalm 64
1 Hear my voice, O God, in my complaint; Preserve my life from dread of the enemy. 2 Hide me from the secret counsel of evildoers, From the tumult of those who do iniquity, 3 Who have sharpened their tongue like a sword. They aimed bitter speech as their arrow

Couldn't they be talking about disease or unexpected financial problems (like loss of a job) or death of a loved one or any number of the storms of life?

God doesn't always answer our prayers in our timing, but in this psalm we see the ulimate reason for God interviening and delivering us from our enemies. It's not so we will feel better or have an easier life. It's so others will see how awesome God is.

 9 Then all men will fear, And they will declare the work of God, And will consider what He has done. 10 The righteous man will be glad in the LORD and will take refuge in Him; And all the upright in heart will glory.

I heard Bro. Larry pray the other day for someone, that their cancer wouldn't be wasted. Perhaps he was thinking along the lines of these last verses of Psalm 64 - praying that others would see what He would do and "declare the work of God..."

It's my prayer that you will be able to turn your struggle with enemies into occasions where others can see God at work. "Let the upright in heart praise Him!"

No comments: