Monday, March 5, 2012

150 Days of Psalms - Psalm 65

One of my favorite songs to sing lately is "Your Name" by Paul Baloche and Glenn Peckiam. Hmmmm. I think we'll sing it this coming Sunday now that I've been reminded of it! The opening line of this beautiful song is "As morning dawns and evening fades, You inspire songs of praise" which is Psalm 65:8 in the NIV.

I first read it in the Holman Christian Standard - "You make east and west shout for joy." Not quite as poetic. Then I found this picture- which was a lot different than just saying east and west.


So I looked it up in the NASB (my favorite) to compare and there it said, "You make the dawn and the sunset shout for joy." So since it was quite a bit different than the Holman I looked at the NIV "where morning dawns and evening fades you call forth songs of joy" and naturally I began singing "Your Name."

So what's the point of all of that? I don't know. I just thought it was interesting... But in every translation I believe the point is that God is praised all day long and from one end of the earth to the other.

The beauty of Tennessee at this time this year fits in with this psalm. I was enjoying and thanking God for all the beautiful trees (pears and plums) in bloom right now. David describes how God crowns the year with His goodness, robes the hills with joy, established the mountains with His power, and more.

I hope you'll let the beauty of the earth - not only in the Spring, but all year long - inspire you to join all of creation in singing for joy to the Lord. "They shout for joy, yes, they sing."

1 comment:

Phyllis Hobson said...

I looked up the dawn/dusk verse in the Message and it is interpreted "Dawn and dusk take turns calling, 'Come and worship.'" I visualized some of the gorgeous sunrises and sunsets that I have seen and can picture this - all nature calling to us (me) - "Look at what God did - wow - worship!" I can think of the beauty of mountains, streams, oceans, even deserts and how God created all of this. When Jerry and I took up scuba diving I thought of how beautiful God had made the things in the ocean, even though most people will never see any of it.

I love the last verse, "The pastures are clothed with flocks; the valleys also are covered over with corn; they shout for joy, they also sing." Can you imagine corn/wheat/grain singing? I think of the vast plains covered with fields of wheat and the wind causing it to rustle (sing?). Even the rocks would cry out (Luke 19:40), yet we are the ones with the privilege of praising God.