Saturday, March 3, 2012

150 Days of Psalms - Psalm 63

Back in the 70s and 80s there were a lot of praise choruses written almost directly word for word from scripture. Here's one sung by the Maranatha Singers baseed on Psalm 63:3-4



This Psalm is a great reminder to praise, sing, bless and rejoice in the Lord. Not only during the day when we seek the Lord but also at night - through the night.

It's also an encouragement to be in worship. How's that? you may ask.
1 O God, You are my God ; I shall seek You earnestly ; My soul thirsts for You, my flesh yearns for You, In a dry and weary land where there is no water. 2 Thus I have seen You in the sanctuary, To see Your power and Your glory.

The psalmist tells about seeking earnestly for God - thirsting and yearning for Him - and he found God - not in the dry weary land, but in the sanctuary. There he saw God's power and glory. It is in worship - corporate worship (in the sanctuary) that we can see God. I'm not saying you can't see/find God on your own, but when we gather together in His name, He is there with us. By singing and praising God together we encourage each other in our time of seeking God.

But notice too, that the psalmist found God because he was looking for Him.

Proverbs 8:17 NASB
I love those who love me; And those who diligently seek me will find me.

Jeremiah 29:13 NASB
You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart.

How will you approach worship the next time you attend services at your church? I hope you will seek God earnestly. What a great promise that you will find Him!

1 comment:

Phyllis Hobson said...

In this Psalm I see how much David relies on God, how God is everything to him: "I eagerly seek You. I thirst for You; my body faints for You"; "Your faithful love is better than life."; "You satisfy me as with rich food;" With the days of fasting and prayer that we have been involved in, I have really focused on how much I have let certain things be my focus and have taken such a priority in my life. I really have prayed that God will have a preeminent place in my life.