Thursday, March 22, 2012

150 Days of Psalms - Psalm 82

This seems to be a recurring theme in the Psalms (and also in many of the writings of the prophets.)

Provide justice for the needy and the fatherless;
uphold the rights of the oppressed and the destitute.
Rescue the poor and needy;
save them from the power of the wicked.

I would think that anything repeated many times in scripture would be something that is important to God - so therefore, it should be important to us.

How will you follow these instructions?

Hmmmmm. In my search for pictures I came across a couple of Mormon sites where they were very excited about verse 1 "He judges among the gods" and verse 6 "You are gods." I have a lot to do today to get ready for the Passion Play, so I don't think I'll take time to respond to that, but the thought that we all become a god and rule our own world some day is not consistent with the teachings of the Bible.

1 comment:

Phyllis Hobson said...

I like the thought of "judging justly" (in this Psalm people are being admonished for judging unjustly). How many times I have presupposed what someone is thinking or why they acted a certain way. I judge without knowing all the facts, when it's not my place to judge, using my "wisdom."

Showing partiality to the wicked. I don't do that! But as I am sure (or hope) happens to everyone at some time, we have our favorites, and thought I may not be showing partiality to wicked, we are told to not be partial (1 Timothy 5:21).