Tuesday, March 13, 2012

150 Days of Psalms - Psalm 73

Psalm 73 begins Book III of the Psalter. Many of these psalms were written by Asaph or in the style of Asaph's writing. According to my fancy Holman Christian Standard Bible notes from LifeWay, Asaph was David's chief musician. Wow! Would that be a cool job or what? Or maybe a very intimidating job, to write psalms under the watch of THE psalm writer, David.

This psalm made me think of all the celebrities and big money makers that are always on TV. I won't mention names, because first of all I don't want to be judge and jury right here on blogger and second because you can think of more people than I can who are like the prosperous, arrogant wicked people described in the first verses of Psalm 73.

Asaph was beginning to let their easy-looking life get to him. His life had troubles and he was hopeless in trying to figure out why the wicked who mocked God prospered and he, an innocent man, had afflictions. He had his feelings hurt. He was becoming bitter.

But when he entered God's sanctuary - when he came into God's presence - he understood. He realized that being jealous and bitter about the prosperity of the wicked was foolish. He was able to write these words.

"I am always with You; You hold my right hand. You guide me with Your counsel, and afterwards You will take me up to glory.
Who do I have in heaven but You? And I desire nothing on earth but You.
My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart, my portion forever."

You may recognize vs. 25-26 as the second verse and part of the chorus of Darlene Zschech's beautiful song (and one of my all-time favorites) "Made Me Glad." (That's part of why her songs are so wonderful. They are taken almost entirely from scripture. If you don't recognize her name, you probably know some of her songs. "Shout to the Lord" is another one she wrote.)



1 comment:

Phyllis Hobson said...

This is such an easy, straight forward Psalm to digest. And it is so very relevant, as you have said. One interpretation of the first couple verses of the Psalm "God is good—-good to good people, good to the good-hearted. But I nearly missed it, missed seeing his goodness. I was looking the other way" makes me think of the times that my focus has not been on God, but on my circumstances, on others, on the "unfairness" of life. May I always weigh things in light of God's goodness. As Pastor Robertson said a couple weeks back, "Don't judge God's love for you by your circumstances, but by the cross."