Sunday, March 11, 2012

150 Days of Psalms - Psalm 71

This is the man I want to be - not any time soon. I don't think I'm old yet. When someone asks, "How long have you been playing the violin?" I'll joke and say, "about 120 years." But I really don't think I'm old yet. My ankle has been aching for a few days now. I don't remember doing anything to it. I blame it on old age. But I really don't think I'm old yet. (and I'm not even going to mention how gray my beard is. I may have to get some Just for Men.

So whenever I am  old I want to have this testimony.
Psalm 71

Even though he doesn't know "the sum" of his days, he hopes continually and testifies about God's righteousness and salvation all day long.

14 But as for me, I will hope continually, And will praise You yet more and more. 15 My mouth shall tell of Your righteousness And of Your salvation all day long; For I do not know the sum of them. 16 I will come with the mighty deeds of the Lord GOD ; I will make mention of Your righteousness, Yours alone. 17 O God, You have taught me from my youth, And I still declare Your wondrous deeds. 18 And even when I am old and gray
But notice that the psalmist didn't START testifying about God and His righteousness and salvation when he was old. God was his confidence since he was a youth.  
5You are my hope ; O Lord GOD, You are my confidence from my youth. 6 By You I have been sustained from my birth ; You are He who took me from my mother's womb ; My praise is continually of You


I've noticed this about people. More often than not an older person is just like they were when they were a younger person - only maybe exaggerated a little. So... if you want to be a great man or woman of raith in your old age you have to be that now in your not so old age. If you want to be gentle and kind as an older person you need to practice that as a younger type person. If you want to be a person of hope and faith and love and joy when you are old... are you following this line of thought?

Bottom line. Be who you want to be when you're old NOW. Get busy. You dont get that way by accident. You have to work at it, train, study, practice, BE that person.




1 comment:

Phyllis Hobson said...

I got a lot of what you said about the person you become is just an exaggeration of who they are. Great, now that I'm over 50, I guess there's little chance of the "kinder, gentler" Phyllis emerging....

I saw the consistency of the praise that the Psalmist had throughout his life, as well as the continual trust in God as his refuge, his fortress, his rock. I also got, from verses 20 and following (though this is my interpretation, and it may not hold up in some translations) that even after death, we will praise God, we will sing and shout for joy at all God has done for us.