Wednesday, February 29, 2012

150 Days of Psalms - Psalm 60

Psalm 60
Once again David is in the midst of a conflict and he's wondering where God is. But I had a thought while I was reading this. I think sometimes in our efforts to be "godly" and "trust" in God that we end up sitting around and are rather passive. I've talked to many people over the years who are just sitting on their blessed assurance when they should be up doing something. They want God to help them find a job but they aren't filling out job applications. They want God to make them healthy but they don't exercise or eat right. They want their kids to become good, law-abiding, responsible citizens but they aren't involved in their lives or setting an example for them. (are you following me here?)

David was asking God for help, but he didn't just sit in a field waiting for the bad guys to go away. Look how he ends this Psalm.

Give us aid against the foe,
for human help is worthless.
With God we will perform valiantly;
He will trample our foes.

David has found the balance between faith and action. He says "WITH" God...

So what is it in your life that you are asking God to help you with?

Now... what actions are you following to give God an opportunity to give you aid?

James 2:14 What use is it, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but he has no works? Can that faith save him? 17 Even so faith, if it has no works, is dead, being by itself. 18 But someone may well say, "You have faith and I have works; show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works."

1 comment:

Phyllis Hobson said...

As well, I liked verse 11 (from The Message): "Give us help for the hard task; human help is worthless." You are so right, though, about doing something, not just waiting. Recently I've had two areas of my life/thoughts where this has been brought "front and center." One of them is something Pastor Robertson brought up last night about Christians not burying their heads in the sand, but to take a vocal, active role in events that happen around us. Especially since the 9th Circuit Court decision a few weeks back, I have just wanted to find a small island where I could just retire to and not have to deal with the craziness, stupidity, increasing Godless mindset (albeit I would want a Starbucks on the island, a good grocery store, nice restaurant - Cracker Barrel would be great....). Last night's comments made me realize that God did not sacrifice for me so I could run away to a life of ease and ignore others who need to hear.

Good word, your comments really brought that point home!