Wednesday, February 1, 2012

150 Days of Psalms - Psalm 32

The joy of forgiveness!
Psalm 32 is an easy Psalm to understand and it has a truth that can be easily applied to your own life. Basically, when you try to hide your sin you start wasting away. When you acknowledge your sin and ask for forgiveness  you experience joy, your transgressions are forgiven and covered. The notes in my fancy Holman Study Bible say, "forgiven literally means 'lifted up' and emphasizes the burden of sin being lifted from the person... covered means to hide or cover something that is offensive...and...charge can mean'reckon' or 'regard,' but in legal contexts means to reckon as liable for punishment." Now look again at verses 1-2 with these definitions in mind.

1 How joyful is the one
whose transgression is forgiven,
whose sin is covered!
2 How joyful is the man
the LORD does not charge with sin
and in whose spirit is no deceit!

How did David get to this place?

5 Then I acknowledged my sin to You
and did not conceal my iniquity.
I said,
"I will confess my transgressions to the LORD,"
and You took away the guilt of my sin.

The Apostle Paul said this,
Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."



On another note (double meaning intended) Andrew and Calli sang a beautiful!! arrangement of Psalm 32:7 - "You Are My Hiding Place" - on January 8. I'll work on getting their singing of it on YouTube so I can add it to this post. Hmmmm, Or I'll just do another post when I get it.

1 comment:

Phyllis Hobson said...

I went one verse further, to verse 6: "Therefore, let everyone who is godly pray to You in a time when You may be found;" and realized that we need to always be connected to God through prayer, always cognizant of the prompting of the Holy Spirit to confession of our sins. And for those who do not have a personal relationship with God, to know that there is a "too late" time.