Friday, February 10, 2012

150 Days of Psalms - Psalm 41

Whew! Had a lot of things going on today and while painting the bathroom - we didn't like the color, too dark - it dawned on me that I hadn't blogged about Psalm 41!

Here is v.1 in several translations.Psalm 41:1 GNT

Good News Translation
Happy are those who are concerned for the poor; the Lord will help them when they are in trouble.

Psalm 41:1 CSB
Holman Christian Standard
Happy is one who cares for the poor; the Lord will save him in a day of adversity.

Psalm 41:1 KJV
King James Version
Blessed is he that considereth the poor: the LORD will deliver him in time of trouble.

Psalm 41:1 NAS
New American Standard
How blessed is he who considers the helpless ; The LORD will deliver him in a day of trouble.

Psalm 41:1 NIV
New International Version
Blessed is he who has regard for the weak; the LORD delivers him in times of trouble.

Psalm 41:1 BBE
Bible in Basic English
Happy is the man who gives thought to the poor; the Lord will be his saviour in the time of trouble.

Salmos 41:1
Bem-aventurado é aquele que atende ao pobre; o SENHOR o livrará no dia do mal.

I wanted to show you several translations because I found it interesting that most used the word "poor," others used "helpless" or "weak." Whatever word is used, I think it shows (and it is shown all through scripture) that God cares for the poor and expects those who are not poor to care for those who are.

Here in the USA we, the church, God's people, have given over our responsibility to care for the poor to the Federal Government. I'm not sure if we can retake our responsibility on the level of Washington. In fact, I think that would be pretty much impossible since we have created a very co-dependant welfare state. But even with our government doing many things for the poor, weak and helpless, we need to be concerned, have regard, consider, give thought to them.

Our church has many good ministries devoted to helping the poor: House of Hope (which has several different ministries) and FUEL (which provides food for school children for the weekends) are two that first come to mind. If you consider those in assisted living residences as helpless and weak we have people who visit and lead Bible studies at several places in town. Some in our congregation work with Manna which serves food to the homeless in town. Many are involved with Room in the Inn which provides a warm place where the homeless can sleep during the winter months.

Let me encourage you to get involved in one of these ministries or find other ways you can "atende ao pobre." Just seeing if you're paying attention (or know Portuguese.) Don't let the government or the church take YOUR place.



1 comment:

Phyllis Hobson said...

I had typed my comments into a "holding place" yesterday, waiting to post them when the blog posted. So here they are....

In the KJV this Psalm reads, in verses 10-11 "But thou, O LORD, be merciful unto me, and raise me up, that I may requite them. By this I know that thou favourest me, because mine enemy doth not triumph over me." It would be great if I knew that every time I was wronged, I could see God's judgment on that person, and I would be set back in the right, back where I belong. But in my 50+ years, there have been several times when I've had to just turn things over to God, and though I've never seen any resolution, I've had to learn to let that go, to quit looking in the rear view mirror for the end result of that particular situation. So I really don't get how David equates knowing that God favors David because his enemies don't win. Oh well, another Biblical mystery that will take time and study to figure out.

First, though, in the Psalm 41 I saw verse 1 - "Blessed is he that considereth the poor [also translated as weak];" In The Message it reads "Dignify those who are down on their luck." In having a conversation recently with someone about how polite and well mannered his children were, he relayed an incident where his family was at an O'Charley's in Nashville and his daughters (early teens) and friends were very respectful to the waiter. The waiter, as the family was exiting, took my friend aside and thanked him for the way his children/teens had treated him. The waiter's words were "So often the younger people who come in here look at me with such contempt and low regard, and treat me as if I didn't exist. Your children respected me." God looks at how we treat "the least of these." They have the same worth to God as we do, and we all want to be treated with dignity and respect.