Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Proverbs Challenge - Day 4

I'll post later, but Phyllis may want to go ahead and leave a comment before I do. Yay Phyllis.

Ok. I'm posting this with my "smart" phone. We'll see how smart it is. I don't think I can add a picture - we'll see.

The thing that impressed me most in chapter 4 is how many ways he said what is summarized in v. 23
23 Watch over your heart with all diligence, For from it flow the springs of life.

Our hearts are so easily distracted from God and we must work at following Him - "not turning to the right or left." I know from my own heart that I cant just coast along in my Christian walk. I must be diligent. I must spend time in the Word I must "pray without ceasing."
The writer of Hebrews said it this way
12:1 Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith,

There's a great hymn, "Come, Thou Fount if Every Blessing" that has these words in one of the verses. (sorry, I don't have a hymnal app to look it up)
"Prone to wonder Lord, I feel it. Prone to leave the One I love. Here's my heart, Lord, take and seal it, seal it for Thy courts above." and in another place "let Thy grace, Lord, like a fetter bind my wondering heart to Thee."

May these verses and words from the hymn be our prayer today!

1 comment:

Phyllis Hobson said...

Verse 15 spoke to me - Avoid it (path of the wicked), do not pass by it; Turn away from it and pass on.

Often we may have the ability to keep away from evil, but we don't do that. So many times I have known what I needed to do (especially in my younger days) but would not do right. I pray for God's constant guidance, and for me to have a heart to listen and obey.