Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Proverbs Challenge -Day 12

Reading a chapter of Proverbs a day doesn't substitute for corporate Bible study and worship. If you're a member of Hilldale I hope to see you this morning. I have Deacon's Meeting @ 7, rehearsal at 7:30, worship services at 8:30 & 9:45, a funeral at 2, ESL at 3, family choir for July 3 at 4 and orchestra rehearsal at 5, so it may be later today before I post my verse of the day. I'll be looking for your comments! Have a great day!
I chose Proverbs 12:16 as my verse for today.

16 A fool's displeasure is known at once, but whoever ignores an insult is sensible.

This is a difficult verse to live out. My first instinct is to quickly counterattack any insult thrown my way. Haha. I started to write "I know it's hard for you all to imagine someone insulting me" but I didn't really want to start that conversation.

Anyway, I think it's only possible to really ignore an insult and not show immediate displeasure by allowing God's Spirit to control my thoughts and actions. But the words are true. A quick jab back just leads to further confrontation and anger and more. Ignoring an insult shows some maturity and control of the Spirit.

1 comment:

Phyllis Hobson said...

v. 10 The righteous care for the needs of their animals, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel.

As someone who loves animals (both domesicated and wild) I identified right with this verse. I believe how people treat those who depend on them--children and pets--says a lot about their compassion and heart. Being involved in wild animal rescue and rehabilitation, I have become more watchful over the creation that God has blessed us with.

Other times in the Bible Jesus talks about loving and caring for children, there are verses about widows and orphans. I think this verse about animals that we own add to the general concept that God wants us to look out for everything he has given us or put within our control.