Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Proverbs Challenge! - Day 2

For me, the point of "The Proverbs Challenge!" isn't for you to see what I have to say about a particular chapter. I certainly don't claim to be a Bible scholar. But I do want to tell you what God had to say to me, but I also want to encourage YOU to read a chapter each day and see what God has to say to you. You don't have to post it here (although I think that's pretty cool if you do) but I do hope you'll commit to reading Proverbs all through June.

If

it's a tiny little word but it carries a lot of weight.


God is offering us wisdom and understanding but there's a big "IF" in the equation. And the "IF" is totally in our hands.

Proverbs 2:1 My son, if you accept my words
and store up my commands within you,

and the "ifs" continue through verse 4.

vs. 5 THEN you will understand the fear of the Lord and discover the knowledge of God.

There are a lot of IF/THENs in the Bible. God doesn't force Himself on us. He offers Himself and if we follow the IF part He is faithful to always follow through with the THEN.

So why not take God up on His word? There are a lot of good promises from God in this chapter if you decide to take Him up on them. I'm praying that you will.

1 comment:

Phyllis Hobson said...

Verse 4 (from NLT and then The Message):

“Search for[insight/understanding] as you would for silver; seek them like hidden treasures.” -- “Searching for it like a prospector panning for gold, like an adventurer on a treasure hunt”

I think of all the times I’ve lost things (keys, jewelry, papers) and had to search. Do I search for the wisdom and understanding of God with the same diligence? Am I as excited when I “find/get” it from God? And God is willing and wanting to just pour that out to me.