Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Proverbs Challenge - Day 16

Wow! June is more than half over. If you've missed a day or two of our Proverbs Challenge you can either read a couple of chapters one day or go through again next month and try to miss different days. haha


The verse I chose for today is a very popular verse. People really like to quote it when they are making big plans. Here it is in a few translations.

"Commit your activities to the Lord and your plans will be achieved." CSB - Homan Christian Standard
"Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed." NIV -  New International Version

"Commit your works to the LORD And your plans will be established." NAS - New American Standard

"Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established ." KJVPeople like to use vs.3 like it's a magic charm or something. "Oh, well, I've committed my activities to the Lord, so He's going to make me succeed." "Lord. I'm doing this for You. Help me achieve my plans."

I think a good passage of scripture to help understand this is Psalm 37
4 Delight yourself in the LORD ; And He will give you the desires of your heart. 5 Commit your way to the LORD, Trust also in Him, and He will do it.

Here's the way these verses work. You don't just sing a song that says how much you delight in God and then expect Him to do whatever silly thing pops into your head. If you truly delight in the Lord then the desires of your heart will be His desires. It's the same with these verses from Proverbs. If we commit our way to the Lord then we are seeking His direction, reading His word, spending time in prayer and then our desires for the way we should go will be His desires and then he will establish our steps.

Here are some other great verses from Proverbs 16

1 comment:

Phyllis Hobson said...

32 Better a patient person than a warrior, one with self-control than one who takes a city.

There were several verses that got my interest, but this verse made me think of how I've been striving for better control over my road rage. It's rare, but definitely can ruin a witness.