Monday, June 13, 2011

The Proverbs Challenge - Day 13

Many of the verses in Proverbs 13 - at least the ones that I remember while writing this - had to do with wise men (and women) listening to advice, discipline and instruction. There is a rebellious streak in each of us. It's the old sin nature that wants to go its own way.

The verse I chose as my verse from the chapter for today is v. 16
Every sensible person acts knowledgeably,
but a fool displays his stupidity.

I guess I picked this one because how we act shows whether or not we have listened and taken to heart advice, discipline and instruction. Hearing instruction is just the first step. We have to make changes in our behavior if we are going to be wise in what we do.

Here are some other great verses from Proverbs 13.

1 comment:

Phyllis Hobson said...

12 Hope deferred makes the heart sick, But desire fulfilled is a tree of life.

This verse struck me because I can't figure it out - how to reconcile it. I need to use it as a starting point to figure why waiting is taught as good (and will develop patience), yet deferring hope can be bad.

So I guess the "bottom line" is I chose this verse because I need to study it in the context of other passages to figure out what it's talking about - which is always a good thing.