Friday, May 28, 2010

A Purple Heart - Memorial Day Reflections

Memorial Day Reflections



"Let it be known that he who wears the military order of the Purple Heart has given of his blood in the defense of his homeland and shall forever be revered by his fellow countrymen." - George Washington

I’ve always appreciated that we, as a nation, observe Memorial Day. I’ve always understood the need to remember those who have given their lives for our country. However, I don’t think I’ve ever actually known anyone – family or friends – who actually died in a war.

This year Memorial Day has taken on a deeper meaning for me. I still don’t know anyone who has died in a war, but I have many friends now who are deployed and a new, good friend, Jesse, who – without knowing it – gave me a fresh look at this day.
Jesse served in Iraq. While Jesse was there he and some guys from his platoon ran into an IED, a roadside bomb. Two of his friends died. Jesse lost his hearing in both of his ears. (Perhaps in another post I’ll tell how some great doctors made him a new eardrum to fix one ear and how God miraculously healed the other. Oh! I guess I just sort of did.)

Jesse told me that when he first went to Iraq that there had been 3,200 casualties of war there. ( I think I remember that number correctly.) In his own mind he thought how that wasn’t too bad compared to WWII or Viet Nam and other wars. However, after their vehicle was destroyed and two friends died he knew personally of two too many who had died.

It dawned on me one day after hearing his story that Jesse could have died that day too. We have been working through some Bible studies together and have really gotten to know each other. We just finished “Experiencing God” and are now working on the study “The Mind of Christ.” I don’t know for sure why God spared Jesse’s life that day in Iraq. (I'm very glad He did.) I see great things ahead for this young man who has a heart for God and wants to know Him more and more each day.

Jesse was awarded a purple heart.
According to Wikipedia, the Purple Heart is a United States military decoration awarded in the name of the President to those who have been wounded or killed while serving on or after April 5, 1917 with the U.S. military.
The original Purple Heart, designated as the Badge of Military Merit, was established by George Washington—then the commander-in-chief of the Continental Army—by order from his Newburgh, New York headquarters on August 7, 1782. The actual order includes the phrase, "Let it be known that he who wears the military order of the Purple Heart has given of his blood in the defense of his homeland and shall forever be revered by his fellow countrymen."

This Memorial Day I will personally thank Jesse for his service to our country. I’ll give his friend, Ethan, a call and thank him too. Sunday morning I’ll thank the men and women in our congregation for their service and we’ll honor those who have “given of their blood” for us.

Jesus said it this way, John 15:13 NASB

"Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends.

Of course Jesus showed an even greater love. Romans 5:7-8 NASB tells us, "For one will hardly die for a righteous man; though perhaps for the good man someone would dare even to die. But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.”
On this Memorial Day weekend I hope you get to eat lots of BBQ and get to spend time with family and friends.

I also hope you will remember those who have shed their blood for you – our friends and family who have and who are serving in the armed services, and 3200+ people I never knew who gave their lives in Iraq, the thousands who gave their lives in other wars, but mostly to our Lord Jesus Christ.

No comments: