Monday, May 10, 2010

Memory Monday Ramblings

I've blogged before about how "church" is a family thing. I've mentioned how I like to use music that has been around for a while as well as the newest music. Why? Because grandma probably likes the music that has been around for awhile, some of the great hymns of the faith are too wonderful to throw out just 'cause they weren't written last weekend by a famous Christian artist and a lot of the new songs are really fine songs that will last for years to come. Grandma sings the new music because it's important to her grandchildren. The youth and children sing the old hymns because they love grandma and want to bless her too.

When did we all get so selfish that we will only sing the songsWE like and not care a thing about what others like? "Sorry. I don't like that kind of music, I'll go worship somewhere else." Makes my blood boil.

Well, that's not where I was originally going with this post. (Just the "family" part.)

A new trend that some people are jumping in on is attending church on-line. Wow! You get to pick your preaching and music and anything else you like, watch videos of Bible studies, have a a virtual experience with God. Where's the "family" in that? Where's the community? Where's the considering others more improtant than yourself?

Philippians 2:3.Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; 4.do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others.

Hmmm... I was leading up to Hebrews 10:24 as our Memory Monday verse, but Philippians 2:3-4 would be good too.

OK. (Can you tell I'm thinking as I'm typing.) We'll do Philippians 2:3-4 this week and Hebrews 10:24 next week. (You can look ahead if you like.) Would you call this "rambling?"

And as always, LIVING the verses is more important than memorizing them. :-) Memorizing these verses is probably  whole lot easier than living them. Thankfully it's possible through the work of the Holy Spirit in your life. Let me know how you're doing!

No comments: