Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Singing with the Chorale

I haven't posted anything this week because I've been out and about. (I'm sure you've really missed it. hahahaha)

Anyway, I've been singing with the Tennessee Baptist Men's Chorale at the Tennessee Baptist Convention and at a pre-convention concert.


Why do I sing with the chorale? It's good for me and for my congregation. That probably sounds a bit strange to say it is good for my congregation, but here's why.


1. The fellowship with other Worship Pastors (we used to be called Ministers of Music - well, actually, most still are) is very refreshing, which gives me a great boost in my work at my church.


2. It makes me a better musician as I sing challenging music with 80 other men.


3. It reminds me that we are all in this together - that worship leaders all across our state are working to lead their people in worship, Sunday by Sunday, and to build effective Music and Worship Ministries. And that we all struggle with the same things is encouraging: to know that others have times when half the choir shows up or when budgets are tight or lead a wonderful time of worship only to have someone complain about it. (not that that ever happens here.......)


4. In rehearsals I'm reminded of all those nice "choral" things that I need to help my choir with. Sometimes we get so caught up in trying to get things ready to sing on a Sunday that we forget the vocal production kinds of things that we all need to work on.


Sunday night after the concert at Springfield, Cheryl (my lovely wife) and I went to O'Charley's with some friends. I stopped by the restroom to wash my hands. Some guy came in and began washing his hands at the sink next to me. He looked at me there in my tux and said, "What? Was everything else in the laundry?"

Hahaha. Nope, just trying to bring a little class to Springfield.


Here's a picture of us singing at the Schermerhorn Symphony Hall in Nashville last summer. That's me on the end of the third row.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Chorale brings class everywhere they sing,Springfield and even JOELTON, Loved the singing, and the violin. Who ever that guy is, he's great!!

Tracy E. Lilly said...

Just out of curiosity, is there a difference between "worship pastor" and "minister of music"? I've never heard of a worship pastor before I came to Hilldale.

R Lyndel Littleton said...

There isn't a difference - really - between a Minister of Music and a Worship Pastor. I think the new term recognizes the fact that Music guys do a whole lot more than just music and shows two more things, 1. that worship - leading worship and othe rworship type events - is what the music guys all do and 2. that we are pastors. EVERYONE in the church should be a "minister" - so to speak, but only some are called to be pastors.