Friday, November 14, 2008

The Power of One

I was just working on the orchestra music for this year's "Tree". (side note - I know you're supposed to put the period inside the quote, but it doesn't seem right to do that if the whole sentence isn't a quote. "Tree." "Tree". Any English majors want to help me with this??)
Anyway - I've distracted myself.
I was working on putting folders of music together and I remembered one of my favorite things to say. "It only takes one violin to turn a band into an orchestra!" Of course that is one of my favorite sayings since I'm a violinist.

But I think you could make the argument that anyone one of us can make a change in whatever area of life we find ourselves in.

Have you noticed that it just takes one complainer to sour an entire office (or choir or Sunday School class)?


Or if one person comes in to work in a terrific mood that it picks up every one's day?
Personally, I'd rather spend time with the one who changes things in a positive way.

And here's something cool to know - You don't have to learn how to play the violin to bring about positive change. (although it is an awesome power rush to know you can step into a room full of band players and turn them into an orchestra!)


You make a difference wherever you go. The question is - do you build up and lift up the organizations you are a part of or do you tear them down? Are you part of the problem or part of the solution. The choice is yours.
1 Thessalonians 5:11 Therefore encourage one another and build each other up as you are already doing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've thought the same thing about the crazy placements of periods inside the quotes. I've also thought about maybe joining wind and fire after Christmas. I haven't made up my mind just yet. I took violin lessons a long time ago but I can't play it now. I would play the trumpet. I just don't like getting that red ring around my lips when I play it.

R Lyndel Littleton said...

We'd love to have you join us. After Christmas we'll start playing for the 9:30 worship service - trying for every week, plus we'll work on some offertories. We have 3 flutes, a trumpet, 2 bones, tenor and alto (or soprano) saxes, clarinet, drums... and I think there are a couple of guys that we can add playing bass and guitar. It will be a lot of fun.