Monday, October 27, 2008

This Mind in You

Bro. Larry preached from Philippians 2 yesterday. He was preaching about holiness - and did a fine job, I might add.

I like to use some of these same verses to talk about worship in today's churches.
Philippians 2:

1.
If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion,
2.
then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose.
3.
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.
4.
Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.

What does that have to do with worship?
Too easy. I don't like that song it's too...
fast
slow
old
new
loud
soft
boring
crazy

That song just doesn't do anything for me.
I just can't worship when we sing that song.

If we follow Paul's admonition to look out for the interests of others and not just for ourselves and focus on being united with Christ and fellowshipping with His Spirit then we'll say things like.

I sing this old song because it is our Sr. adults' favorite and I care about their worship.
I sing this loud upbeat song because the younger people at church really like it.
I focus on Jesus and not on the style of music so that our church is united with Christ.
I like all of our music because it all helps me focus on Jesus.

Preach your own sermon to yourself from here...

Here's another great post (if I say so myself) on worship.
http://hilldaleworship.blogspot.com/2008/03/family-television.html

I had a picture. I can't get it to upload. Sorry.

No comments: