Friday, May 19, 2017

Psalm 139 -- Many Wonderful Truths

I've heard many great sermons and lessons taken from Psalm 139. I'm not going to try to relate them to you in this post. Instead, I think I'll just give you some good lesson or sermon titles and you can fill in the three points and a poem. (That's an old preacher joke. It used to be - probably in the 50s, maybe the 70s - I don't know.... anyway a good sermon would have three points and would end with a poem. A really great preacher would make his three points alliterate. hahaha)

So....here are some great truths from this psalm that would make for a good sermon.

The LORD knows all about us, when we sit, stand, sleep and even what we are going to say before the words are in our mouths. amazing! vs1-6

There isn't anywhere in the world that we can go and be away from God's presence. And no matter where we are God will guide us and hold us. vs.7-12

We don't have to be afraid of the dark - or things that we can't see - because even the dark is as light to God. vs.11-12

We have a great purpose in life - each of us - because we are fearfully and wonderfully made. God knits us together in our mothers' wombs. He knows all that will happen in our lives. vs.13-16

Anyone who truly believes vs.13-16 could never support or condone abortion.

God thinks about us more than we can even imagine. vs.17-18


23 Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. 

24 See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

No comments: