Sunday, May 7, 2017

Psalm 127 - Verses Woven into Your Life

I'm enjoying this section of psalms that are the ascension psalms. Each of theses psalms is one that has a lot of memorable verses.

I remember these verses from my early married days. Cheryl was sometimes a little worried about things. I suppose a rather young husband didn't make a rather young bride feel as secure as living at home with her parents. I would quote the first verse of Psalm 127 to the both of us.

1 Unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the guards stand watch in vain.

I would tell myself (and Cheryl) that there wasn't any point in worrying about something because if the LORD wasn't watching over us then there wasn't any point in the two of us worrying about things. It was kind of a round-about way of saying that God is taking care of us. We don't have to worry about everything.

I think I explained that right....

The second verse we quoted a lot were these.

3 Children are a heritage from the LORD, offspring a reward from him. 4 Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one’s youth. 5 Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them.

We had talked about having a lot of children. These verses were great verses to quote if you wanted a big family. Later....after we decided two children were all we were going to have I would say, "my quiver got full at two." Ha!

Quoting these verses made them part of the fabric of our lives. (There were many others. These just happen to both be from this psalm.) It's one thing to know a verse and to even be able to quote it, but as you put it into real life it becomes part of who you are. It becomes God speaking to you in a personal way. It becomes another connection to the Almighty. As God speaks to you where you are in life through His word, that is the Word being "alive and active" in you. These weren't major life-changing verses, but they were us putting God's Word in our lives in a personal way. When more serious or life-changing things came our way we were already in the habit of using God's Word to  be our comfort, our guide, our strength to face the days ahead. 

12 For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

I hope you have verses that you have woven into your life. I pray that you are letting God's Word be alive and active you in. Spend time reading and meditating on His Word. Take steps of faith in believing what God has said to you through scripture. Let the Bible become alive and active in you. 




Ancient words changing me, changing you...

No comments: