Sunday, April 23, 2017

Psalm 113 - First Thoughts

I noticed as I was reading Psalm 113 that something immediately popped into my head as I read each verse. "Oh! I'll blog about that!" was my thought each time. But then I realized that my random thoughts on each verse didn't seem to go together into something that would flow together as a nice blog post. so I think I'm going to just right my first thought on each verse. You'll need to read the psalm to follow along.

Vs.1 As God's servants we are told to praise Him. It should be a daily - let's say hourly - thing.
Vs.2 The name of the LORD will be always praised. Our lives now are just preparing us for eternity.
Vs.3 This seems like a call to missions. How can the LORD be praised everywhere the sun shines if we don't share His praise around the world?
Vs.4 All the nations of the world think they are the best. It looks like there's going to be a big showdown between a number of these countries: USA, North Korea, China, Russia, Iran, etc. But God is greater than any of them and his praise higher than the heavens.
Vs.5-6 Here's how great and awesome God is. As unendingly (perhaps not a real word, but I need it here) enormous as the universe is, the LORD has to stoop down to look at the heavens and the earth. Another cool thought is that He does! He loves us so much that He stoops down to look at us. (as seen in the next verses)
Vs.7 He cares for the poor and needy and provides for them.
Vs.8 We don't see the poor take actual seats with the princes (rich leaders) of the land, so what does he mean? Perhaps the psalmist is talking about  how at the cross, we all stand on level ground. God isn't a respecter of people or position, but rather treats all of us the same - as children of the King.
Vs.9 Another verse that isn't always answered the way we would expect. Some happy mothers have adopted. Some happy mothers have many spiritual children that they raise to love and serve and praise the LORD. Some happy mothers take in foster children. Some happy mothers care for children that belong to a neighbor, family member, church member, etc. who for one reason or another is not receiving the care he/she deserves from his/her parents and she steps in and shows the child love and respect and points them to Jesus.

Well....I'm sure with a little more thought I could figure a clever way to connect all of my random thoughts, but maybe that isn't necessary. What did God say to YOU today as you read Psalm 113?

No comments: