Thursday, August 26, 2010

Sweeter than Honey - Sunday's Music

I love honey!
I remember once as a child that mom or dad brought home one of those little collections of honey from different kinds of plants. There was clover honey, barley honey, probably ragweed honey. It was all good! and once or twice I remember getting honey in a jar and a big hunk of the honeycomb was in there too. That was so awesome! Can you still get honey that way?

Some people say if you eat honey made in your area that it will help you with your allergies. Sounds good to me!

Honey it hot tea is yummy! Honey on Pillsbury crescent rolls is the perfect ending to your Sunday dinner!


And Honey Nut Cheerios make a great breakfast (and apparently they're good for your cholesterol. What a deal!


I learned a song when I was a teenager from Psalm 19 that talks about honey. (Paul Purifoy taught it to us. He led music for a retreat we were on. I wonder if he's still around. I haven't heard the song anywhere else, so maybe he wrote it. It's about the word and the words of the song were pretty much straight out of - hmmm, probably KJV - it was the mid 70's after all.)

Anyway, these verses from Psalm 19 compare the Word of God to the sweetness of honey and the honeycomb. Is your desire for God's Word as strong as your desire for honey? Have you found it to be as sweet?

Here are in the verses from Psalm 19 from the NASB.

7 The law of the LORD is perfect, restoring the soul ; The testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple. 8 The precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart ; The commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes. 9 The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring forever ; The judgments of the LORD are true ; they are righteous altogether. 10 They are more desirable than gold, yes, than much fine gold ; Sweeter also than honey and the drippings of the honeycomb. 11 Moreover, by them Your servant is warned ; In keeping them there is great reward.


For more great verses about God's word check out Psalm 119. Psalm 119 has 176 verses that talk about the word of God. It uses many words as synonyms for God's word - testimonies, precepts, statutes, commandments, word, law...
The verse from Psalm 119 that you probably know is 105 "Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path." We'll be singing that verse Sunday morning.

Here is Sunday's music for August 29, 2010

All Hail the Power of Jesus’ Name
Hosanna

Choir Anthem – I Will Worship You

Fellowship song – Standing on the Promises

Thy Word
Ancient Words

Special Music – Laughrie Tucker

Message – Dr. Larry D. Robertson

Invitation song – Come, Just As You Are

Offertory – Bro. Lyndel Littleton



Ancient Words - I learned my love for God's word from my dad, Bill, and from my home church pastor, Dr. Tom Elliff. I didn't pick the music for my dad's funeral two years ago (almost two years) but it was very fitting that we sang "Ancient Words" then.
 
I hope as we sing these songs Sunday morning that you will sing out of your love for God's Word - and more importantly, I hope you will spend some time in His Word between now and then.
 
See you Sunday!

No comments: