Monday, August 23, 2010

Memory Monday from a Familiar Passage

If you are like me, you have probably read Romans 10 many times a year for the past 30 years. (Well, unless you're only 22.)

I was reading Romans 10 again this past week and saw something I hadn't noticed before!

How is that possible when you have read a passage 274 times? I don't know - except that according to Hebrews 4:12 the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

Back to my story...
So, I was reading Romans 10 - such wonderful verses (you should memorize if you haven't)

9. if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved ;
10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.
11 For the Scripture says, "WHOEVER BELIEVES IN HIM WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED."
13 for "WHOEVER WILL CALL ON THE NAME OF THE LORD WILL BE SAVED."

Then I read the last verses - which I'm sure I have before - well, of course I have... but they really spoke to me in a different way. You see, there is an army guy I am praying for - that he would be saved - be a true follower of Jesus Christ. But he's not looking for God. He's just finished Ranger school and is in that I'm big and bad and tough and don't need anything or anyone kind of mode. But look what verse 20 of Romans 10 says,

20 And Isaiah is very bold and says, "I WAS FOUND BY THOSE WHO DID NOT SEEK ME, I BECAME MANIFEST TO THOSE WHO DID NOT ASK FOR ME."

(By the way, in the New American Standard translation of the Bible the quotes in the New Testament that are from the Old Testament are written in ALL CAPS. I wasn't adding my own emphasize to the words above.)

So verse 20 is my memory verse for the week 20 And Isaiah is very bold and says, "I WAS FOUND BY THOSE WHO DID NOT SEEK ME, I BECAME MANIFEST TO THOSE WHO DID NOT ASK FOR ME." And it is my prayer for this young army guy, that God would show Himself to him even though he isn't seeking God.

For YOU, if you have never memorized Romans 10:9-10, you should do that this week. If you have someone you have been praying for to be saved, maybe you'll want to memorize Romans 10:20 and let it be a guide to how you pray for your friend this week.

No comments: