Monday, January 25, 2010

Memory Monday January 25


If you've missed a few weeks of our worship blog then you may not know about "Memory Mondays." I decided a few weeks ago that I was going to memorize a new verse each Monday and I encouraged my readers to join me. Here's the first post about "Memory Mondays."
 http://hilldaleworship.blogspot.com/2010/01/memory-monday.html

I've had a few people tell me that they are memorizing with me. If you are joining me I'd love to know. Send me an e-mail or leave a comment here.

I won't always list all of the verses since by July it will be a rather long list, but here are the first two verses I (we) have memorized.

Micah 6:8.
He has told you, O man, what is good; And what does the LORD require of you But to do justice, to love kindness, And to walk humbly with your God

James 2:26

For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.

Here's the verse for this week. It's a good reminder of why we should spend time in the Word and memorize it. The verse I'm challenging you to learn is verse 2. We'll actually, you should do verses 1 and 2. I actually have memorized a lot of this chapter in the past, so I'm going to make sure I can quote all 6 verses.

This is the opening Psalm. It sets the stage for all 150 Psalms. It's more than just a proverb, it's a promise from God. Those who delight in the law of the LORD and meditate on it day and night are doing more than just reading. To meditate on something you have to know it (memorize it) and then as you spend time with it - meditating - you understand it, you see it change you, you realize God's words are life, light, comfort, strength, conviction, joy, wisdom... the list goes on and on.

So Psalm 1 should be a great encouragement to you as you decide to commit to memorizing scripture this year (if you're still deciding.)

Psalm 1:
1.How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked, Nor stand in the path of sinners, Nor sit in the seat of scoffers !



2.But his delight is in the law of the LORD, And in His law he meditates day and night.

3.He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water, Which yields its fruit in its season And its leaf does not wither ; And in whatever he does, he prospers.

4.The wicked are not so, But they are like chaff which the wind drives away.

5.Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment, Nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.

6.For the LORD knows the way of the righteous, But the way of the wicked will perish.
 
Or if memorizing is too difficult, here's another idea!
Well..... I had a picture of a guy's back with Psalm 1 tatooed on it, but Cheryl said it was gross and wrong and since she gets to be my editor I took it off. Hahaha.


No comments: