Monday, April 14, 2008

The Old Rugged Cross

I'm going to try very hard not to talk politics too much on this blog since the main point of it is the worship and music ministry of Hilldale, but recent comments by one of the presidential candidates reminded me of a song (therefore it is a music post rather than a political post).


"I will cling to the old rugged cross and exchange it someday for a crown."


I don't really cling to my "religion" and I'm certainly not "bitter" about not making the kind of money a US Senator makes (therefore needing to cling to guns or religion to sooth my soul). Implying that I cling to religion because I'm bitter about my station in life is a bit rude and condescending.

I cling to the Savior, Jesus Christ.

I cling to the cross as a symbol of Jesus' love for all the world shown as He gave His life as an atonement for sin.

I cling to my church because I love the people of God.

I cling to the Southern Baptist Convention because I agree with its theology and am proud of the world mission efforts through cooperative giving.

http://www.sbc.net/

OK, I'll quit. The list could be longer.

No comments: