Sunday, April 27, 2008

Does He Play Drums Too?

I heard something that I thought was really funny today. No one has really said much about our new drum room. It's an experiment I'm trying for the next few weeks. We bought the drum room for the band that will play for our new "Contemporary" service at the FLC. I expected to hear more about it than I have. I've mostly hear "cool!" from the youth boys.

Acoustic drums have such a great sound. The thing I notice most is the kick (bass drum). The Roland set we have is a mid to low range model and the kick sounds a lot like an old wet wooden spoon hitting a cardboard box. The drums we have in the drum room have a great "kick".



Another nice thing about acoustic drums is that you can actually play softer on them than you can on electric drums. "How is that?", you may ask since the reason for electronic drums is to control the sound. Because... you can play softer and still get a sound out of them. If you hit an electric drum softly you may or may not get a sound so you end up hitting them harder than you would real drums.

So why a drum room? Because acoustic drums ARE very loud. And with the shape of our ceiling, the sound would be ten times louder than it actually is. So, a drum room keeps most of the sound in the room and we can control it that way.

But I've distracted myself... The funny thing I heard today was about the drum room. One of the ladies at church (names withheld to protect the innocent) said her husband said, "When did the Pope start playing drums?"



3 comments:

Brenda J said...

That is too funny! I heard someone say it lookslike a bus stop booth! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Lyndel.
I thought the drum room was a great addition to the ensemble. I personally have played both types of drums (acoustic and digital) and the real thing cannot be copied with the same intensity or nuances. "Rooms" always give more control. What a great God we have to have designed our world in this way! And He shared it with us. Cool.
Keep up the great work.
Jerry

Anonymous said...

Hey Lyndel, just wanted to drop a little note to say hello to everyone and that you have a great blog site. I check it out every now and then just to keep up with things. Well, see you all in a couple of weeks.

Dave Heard