Sunday, August 26, 2007

Linguistic Siblings & Pinky Dinky Doo

Cheryl and I counted up the other day. I've been in vocational ministry for 32 years. 32! And I've had 12 preachers. 12! In those 32 years and 12 preachers, today is the first time ever that one of my pastors has used the phrase "linguistic siblings"! I love it! It's really nice having a preacher who cares about words and what they mean and who has an educated vocabulary. One of his ways of learning new words is the word of the day that is sent out each day from Merriam-Webster Online http://www.m-w.com/

But I think I discovered something else. Michelle (our church pianist) and I were talking about "linguistic siblings" tonight and I mentioned Bro. Larry's love for words. I then mentioned a text message I received from him. In it he used the word auriferous . Well... ends up Michelle thinks she heard that word this week. She heard it on Pinky Dinky Doo! Each show has a "great big fancy word." So I had to check out Pinky Dinky Doo. (Google helps you find anything, you know.) Sure enough, Pinky is a great preschool show that teaches reading and words and things. And each show has a "Great Big Fancy Word." So if you've never heard of "Pinky" - like I hadn't - and are looking for more Pinky info, click here and you can see her web site http://www.noggin.com/shows/pinky.php
Click here and you can play her Great Big Fancy Word game. http://sesameworkshop.org/pinkydinkydoo/game-great_big_fancy_word.html

I'm not saying Bro. Larry watches Pinky Winky Doo...

All of this to say I'm proud to call Bro. Larry my Senior Pastor. I love it that he is so passionate about each of us understanding biblical truth. I love it that he cares about the meaning of words and wants to help us understand the meaning behind words used in scripture. I love it that he spends time studying and looking for the deep things of God and that he shares what he has discovered with us. I love it that he doesn't decide what to say and then look for scripture to back him up, but instead he reads a passage of scripture and asks what that passage has to say. Those are all very important things. I hope you appreciate them (and him) too.

Well, I need to quit blogging so I can set Tivo to record Pinky Dinky Doo. I want to keep up!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brother Lyndell,

You are SO funny. All of that "Pinky Winky Doo" stuff really made me chuckle. And now I'm just going to HAVE to check it out.

I, too, love words. But Brother Larry has already stumped me with "auriferous", although it's meaning - containing gold - is lovely (spellcheck ROCKS).

Back to Brother Larry. I love what you say about him and I agree with you wholeheartedly. His passion for the Lord and for the Word just warm me to the core. I love his way of putting things and it is "that way" which kept me coming to Hilldale long enough until the Lord finally put it on my heart to become a member here. I'm still very new and I don't know many people yet, but I enjoy all that our church has to offer and I look forward to making friends there and becoming part of the Hilldale family.

Thank yor for leading a wonderful choir. I enjoy it immensely and I look forward to getting more and more settled in. It gives me such joy to sing for the Lord, and it makes my heart smile to experience the commradery and laughter that I get while being part of the choir.

Sincerely,

Sandi Miller

Daniel and Christy Davis said...

You are silly ... but I'm all about exegesis...if you want a fancy word for preaching the scripture for what it says... not for what you want it to say...that would be eisegesis

I'm sure Hannah will come over and watch Pinky Winky Doo or Dinky Doo whichever it is, sometime.

Love,
Christy