Monday, August 20, 2007

Braggin'

It's generally considered bad taste to brag. I saw a photo holder at one of the big discount stores the other day. It said, "I can't help it that I am so much prettier to look at than you." Tacky!

Yesterday I bragged on our church. And what I said is true. I'll try to say it again. Cheryl said I said it better at 9 than I did at 10:30. I said something like this.

I need to brag on you all. I've been at Hilldale for 6 or 7 weeks now. I've noticed that we do a great job singing lots of kinds of music. Not every church can say that! We can sing songs that are hot off the contemporary Christian radio stations and old hymns that grandma used to sing, 1970s hits by the Gaithers and 2007 hits by Chris Tomlin.

The really nice thing about this is that as we sing so many kinds of songs we are doing exactly what we should be doing. As each of us sings songs that aren't our favorite style, but are instead the favorite style of our grandchildren or grandparents, we are considering others as more important than ourselves. Phillipians 2:3
We are also living out the truth that worship isn't about us and meeting our needs, but it about God and worhipping Him.

There's a whole lot more that could be said about this, but let me just say, "Thanks." I'm looking forward to great times of worship together in the months to come.

No comments: